Are you looking for a way to engage your students in new and interesting ways? Then the mystery bag activity is just for you!
Purchase 6 gift bags from your local Dollar Tree or Walmart. In fact, the bags used in this example were 2 for a $1.00. The total cost of the 6 bags from the Dollar Tree were $3.18. This is a pretty inexpensive hook or center idea. This activity is good for Kindergarten & 1st Grade students.
The preparation for this activity is quick and easy.
- Simply glue label cards to the front of each mystery bag.
- Place the number of counters on the number cards inside each bag. For example, for the 8 card place eight counters inside that bag.
- Spread out the number cards so the students can see all of the cards
- Now, we are all set.
- The students work together in pairs.
- The students should reach inside a bag one at a time without looking.
- They will count the number of counters they feel inside the bag and place the correct number card in front of the bag.
- The other student will go next and follow the steps above.
- Once the students are finished they should check to determine whether they were correct or not by matching the counters with the number cards.
- As an extension activity, allow the students to arrange the numbers in order from least to greatest or complete the Extension worksheet.
|After the student selects the number card that
goes with the mystery bag check to see if the answer is correct.
|This is a picture of the mystery bag labels.|
|The setup for the addition cards is the same as the setup for the number cards.|
|Since 2 + 5 = 7 then there should be 7 counters in the bag.
After the students have placed all of the addition cards
in front of the bags they can check to see if they are correct.
|The worksheet goes nicely with the activity.|
Give me feedback and let me know how you use this activity in your classroom. Do not forget to download the template!