Do you ever wonder, “What do the common core standards really mean?” There are times in which you may read the standards and still need further clarification. One great thing about common core standards are that educators across the United States can now share resources!
There are a couple of resources out there to help you better understand the standards. Some of the resources that I find pretty helpful include:
1) Engage NY
Once you click on the link, select your grade level. New York organized this website by grouping various standards into modules. Look for the standards within the modules and download the module. Great things about this website include:
- There are actual lessons that are aligned with many of the common core standards. Along with the lessons, you will find explicit directions that help you implement the lesson.
- There are exit tickets aligned to the lesson.
- There are lesson worksheets which are great for student practice and homework aligned with the lesson. Yes, I did say homework aligned to the lesson!!
Once you click on the link, look under the Model Curricula section and select your grade level. Great things about this resource include:
- It contains unpacked Common Core standards.
- The standards include an Instructional Strategies and resources section for each domain.
- It also includes a section with common student misconceptions for every standard.
- They provide information about addressing diverse learners.
This website allows you to download individual standards’ page views. Great things about this resource include:
- It has student friendly learning objectives aligned with each standard.
- It provides explanations and examples for most standards.
- There are unit frameworks which include many tasks and activities.
- Within each unit framework, you will also find a unit overview, strategies for teaching, common misconceptions and a differentiation section within each task!